Subject: Re: "LEXR" USB storage device
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030517T123625@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/2003 12:55:12
>     umass0: LEXR PLUG DRIVE LEXR PLUG DRIVE, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2
>     rnd: sd1 attached as an entropy source (collecting)

What is being used as the entropy source?  The data read or the
rotational/seek delays?

> BTW, the device is labeled "64 MB", but 62976 KB is only 61.5 MB (where
> 1 MB = 1024*1024 bytes).  I assume this is due to memory manufacturers
> starting to tell the same lies that disk manufacturers tell.

Probably the underlying chips really present 64MB but the missing
section is for spares, sector tables and on-card firmware.

Either the lexar or sandisk web mentioned a level of sector remapping
done by the on-card controller.  The purpose was to map out bad
sectors and to move sectors around on a per-write basis so that
hot-spots didn't wear out one sector while most other sectors were
still fairly underutilized.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/