Subject: Re: "LEXR" USB storage device
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/2003 18:56:10
On Sat, 17 May 2003, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> Chris Tribo writes:
> >I have the same device and it works fine as long as you don't accidently
> >comment out scsibus* at scsi? as of 1.6Q
>
> I suspect it's the same bug I mentioned a few days ago.  Try booting
> with the device in, and see if works then.

Thanks for the hints.  I am now unable to replicate the problem, though
I did discover a potential problem in my kernel config:  I previously
had both "scsibus* at umass? channel ?" and "scsibus* at scsi?", and I
don't know if they are supposed to play nicely together.  My new kernel
omits tha "scsibus* at umass? channel?" line.

Old kernel; device not present during boot; device inserted later: fails
as reported in my previous message (umass attaches to uhub, but scsibus
does not attach to umass).

Same old kernel; device present during boot: works:

    umass0 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
    umass0: LEXR PLUG DRIVE LEXR PLUG DRIVE, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2
    umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
    scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
    scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
    sd1 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <LEXAR, DIGITAL FILM, /W1.> disk removable
    sd1: mode sense (5) returned nonsense; using fictitious geometry
    sd1: 62976 KB, 61 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 125952 sectors
    rnd: sd1 attached as an entropy source (collecting)

New kernel (with "scsibus* at scsi?", but without "scsibus* at umass?"):
works, regardless of whether device is present during boot or inserted later.

Old kernel once again: works now, regardless of whether device is
present during boot or inserted later.

BTW, the device is labeled "64 MB", but 62976 KB is only 61.5 MB (where
1 MB = 1024*1024 bytes).  I assume this is due to memory manufacturers
starting to tell the same lies that disk manufacturers tell.

I remain confused.

--apb (Alan Barrett)