Subject: Re: Layered file system issues - please report
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/2003 17:10:39
In message <Pine.NEB.4.33.0305111457240.8445-100000@vespasia.home-net.icnt.net>
, Bill Studenmund writes:
>I'd appreciate it if folks could EMail me any open issues they have with
>layered file systems. I'm especially looking for locking related panics,
>and how unionfs is working. Repeatable test cases are best.

I have had huge problems with unionfs.

>I've always worried about unionfs, and felt its locking botches could
>cause panics. But last time I tried a few make -j 4's, it did fine. I'm
>not certain this means it's fixed, just that I can't get it to break. :-)

I was 100% reliably able to crash a Soekris box with an empty MFS union
mounted over /var with
	find / -print > /dev/null

The crash wasn't always at the same place, but it was 100% repeatable.

This was on -current a couple months ago.  I am willing to try again and
see if it still happens.

-s