Subject: Re: building an embedded NetBSD
To: None <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/2003 22:11:02
In article <20030506140054.26f83b7a.dokas@cs.umn.edu> you write:

>I've aquired an old Lucent Brick 80 that's basically a 486 class PC with
>CompactFlash instead of a disk drive and 4 Intel based NICs that I'd like
>to get working as a firewall.
>
>What I think is the best approach is to get a trimmed down version of
>NetBSD onto the CF that is similar to the installation floppies.

This sounds a pretty similar beast to the Soekris net4501.  What I did with
my net4501 was just to use a 128 MB CF card, which is big enough to hold the
whole of base.tgz with plenty of room to spare.  About the only changes I've
made to allow for root being on CF is to mount root noatime,nodevmtime and
to have no swap (with 64 MB of RAM, who needs it?).  With bash and djbdns
installed from pkgsrc, I've still got 29 MB free:

rockall:~$ df -k
Filesystem          1K-blocks     Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a              121279    85128     30087    73%    /
mfs:135                 19815        1     18823     0%    /tmp

It's not a particularly clever approach, but it works for me.

Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/acorn26/>