Subject: Re: X security query.
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <>
From: Aidan Kehoe <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/2003 09:33:54
 Ar an 6ú lá de mí 5, scríobh Tom Ivar Helbekkmo :

 > Aidan Kehoe <> writes:
 > > The xman displays. Wtf? Is this to say, anyone with local access who can
 > > guess the name of my Xauthority file can pop up a window on my $DISPLAY?
 > If they have read access to said .Xauthority file, yes.

This person didn't. Is there anywhere else that security can be turned off?
XDM configuration options?

 > > Okay, so what do I have to do to turn off the ability of any local
 > > user to pop up a window on my display?
 > Nothing, because you already have proper protection of the file:
 > > 9:48PM ~ > ls -l ~aidan/.Xauthority
 > > -rw-------  1 aidan  wheel  0 May  5 20:20 /home/aidan/.Xauthority

Yes, but I also successfully managed to pop up an xman window on my display
as another user with that configuration.

"I have heard the swelling cry of the English speaking peoples of the
world, and it tells me their cause is served best by flaming the few
complacent asses on usenet." -- T. Samant, 29 June 1997