Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.bin/mklocale
To: Frederick Bruckman <>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/2003 12:26:38

On Monday,  5 May 2003 at 21:53:00 -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Mon, 5 May 2003, Andrew Brown wrote:
>>> I dedicate this book to my parents, Ayn Rand and God.
>> i think this is a bit ambiguous either way.  to add the comma would
>> make it:
>> 	I dedicate this book to my parents, Ayn Rand, and God.
>> ie, a list, but to replace the comma would give:
>> 	I dedicate this book to my parents: Ayn Rand and God.
>> which names your parents.  a single comma just strikes me as awkward
>> for both possible interpretations.
> Duh. The point of the example is to demonstrate why you need the
> second comma (unless you really are JC's half-brother).
> I think the modern "Business" style of leaving out commas everywhere,
> even for appositive clauses and complete clauses, is simply horrible.
> It only works if you already know exactly what position the writer
> takes, in which case he would have done just as well to write nothing
> at all. Such "style" has no place in scientific and technical discourse.

Commas shouldn't be omitted if they give rise to ambiguity, of
course.  But to quote the Commonwealth Style Guide:

  6.29  The modern tendency is to use no more commas than are essential
        for clarity, although some writers use them more freely than

Finger for PGP public key

Version: GnuPG v1.2.0 (FreeBSD)