Subject: Re: /usr/bin/which is a csh script!!?!
To: None <>
From: Aidan Kehoe <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/2003 15:53:49
 Ar an 2ú lá de mí 5, scríobh Jim Bernard :

 >   That depends on what answer you're seeking.  Which can actually be handy
 > in the specific case that you are _not_ using csh, if you already know that
 > foo is, say, a shell function that eventually executes some program named
 > foo that is found in PATH, and you want to know "which version of that program
 > is ultimately going to be executed when I type foo?"  (A better solution is
 > "whereis -p", but that's not portable, and it's easier to type "which".)

If you're using zsh, which(1) is a builtin, so that's not portable to all
the Bourne shells either.

"I have heard the swelling cry of the English speaking peoples of the
world, and it tells me their cause is served best by flaming the few
complacent asses on usenet." -- T. Samant, 29 June 1997