Subject: RE: gigs of XFree86.0.log
To: Jonathan Cline <jcline@d2tech.com>
From: Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/2003 00:31:24
On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 00:09, Jonathan Cline wrote:
> > From: Jeremy C. Reed [mailto:reed@reedmedia.net]
> >
> > On Thu, 1 May 2003, Jonathan Cline wrote:
> >
> > > How can I turn off this X log?
> >
> > Maybe "-logverbose 0"
> >

> Yes, I saw that option, but *where* to apply it?
> (Recall, this is also for xfce.)
> The nearest I'm guessing, without digging into
> internals (since I really don't care to),
> is that X is spawned from somewhere inside
> xinit.  Which, I suppose, means there's some
> environment variable which might be set to pass
> these args in?

If you startx, startx -- -logverbose 0

> I can only assume that "default of log level 3"
> is a bit..  um..  *extreme*.  The uptime of my
> session wasn't that long-- maybe 2 weeks?-- and
> the log gained maybe 20-50 megs per day? (Based on
> my estimate of watching it for half a day.)
> This leads me to the ultimate question of why
> a /dev/null or default-override solution should
> be necessary at all.  Unless there's something
> very wrong and the process is screaming for
> attention (which it doesn't seem to be).

It was a bug in the cirrus driver (I'm guessing that's what you're
using).  You can fix it by removing #define DEBUG from
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/cirrus/alp_xaam.c

This is fixed in XFree86 4.3.0.

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org