Subject: Re: New fdisk program
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/2003 11:36:57
On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 10:01  AM, David Laight wrote:

> I have a rototilled fdisk program that supports:
> - editing of the extended partition list
> - user friendly default start/size for new partitions
> - partition start/size input in sectors, cylinders or MB
> - bootsel menu names configured with paritition bounds
> - partition update loop asks used which partition to change
>   (instead of asking about each partition in turn).
> - detection (and erroring) of overlapped partitions.
> - automatic installation of correct mbr_xxx code (after prompting user)

Sweet, this has been sorely needed.  Just keep in mind that fdisk(8) is
used by scripts and other tools as a back-end ... so don't break the
functionality that those things use :-)

Also, plenty of non-IA32 platforms use fdisk(8); MBR prompting is not
always appropriate.

Also, it would be nice to have a simple way of selecting the MBR
partition type ... dunno if this was included in your rototill or not
:-)