Subject: Re: building -current on FreeBSD fails
To: None <>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/2003 01:33:22
On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 14:50:55 +0200, Ronald van der Pol wrote:

> Now I have another problem:
> ---------------
> [...]
> nbmake: exec(/bin/sh) failed (Argument list too long)
> *** Error code 1
> I guess building NetBSD on a FreeBSD system is not really supported :-)

I do this all the time ;).  Though I rarely do full builds and usually
just compile kernels using the toolchain I built some time ago.  So I
discover that something has been broken only when I need a build or a
toolchain for a new target.

In this case the problem is that FreeBSD has a limit of 64K on the
environment+command line and some gnu makefiles in the toolchain that
pass around huge number of make variables exceed that limit.

Jason Thorpe alleviated the problem somewhat with new `-X' flag to
make(1), but it only gives you an extra dozen of chars or so in the
full path to the root of the netbsd source tree.

I just union mount my /long/path/to/netbsd/cvs/checked/out/trees/
to /nb ;).

SY, Uwe
--                         |       Zu Grunde kommen            |       Ist zu Grunde gehen