Subject: Re: /usr/bin/which is a csh script!!?!
To: George Michaelson <>
From: David Maxwell <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/29/2003 21:25:02
On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 10:33:46AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
> wow. or maybe I mean s/wow/ow/
> I didn't think 'we' did that any more.
> csh scripts don't reflect on non-csh user initialization much. So if something
> is in a /bin/sh /etc/profile or a sh/bash/ksh shell initialization space,
> the which command won't 'find' it because it doesn't wind up in the path=(...)
> space.
> Hmm. This might be me needing cluebat attack. Should I be doing shell PATH
> initialization in places which csh honours? What are they these days?

In no particular order, see:

Or the rest of the long threads in the mailing list archives.

David Maxwell,| --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive
idea, controlling a microwave oven is easily accomplished with the smallest
of microcontrollers. - Russ Hersch - (Microcontroller primer and FAQ)