Subject: Re: Tap(4) interface in NetBSD?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/2003 23:23:04
On Apr 27,  7:22pm, Andrew Gillham wrote:
}
} Think about bridging non-IP ethernet frames over a VPN.
} Presumably you could have a vtun (or other) VPN between tap0 on one box
} and tap0 on another.  Enabling bridging with xyz0 / tap0 on either end
} should give you an ethernet bridge over a VPN.

	And this, exactly, is why I'm interested in this functionality.  The
bridge(4) only works with interfaces of "similar enough" framing and I'd
like to bridge two ethernet segments which are located on either coast of
the US.  GRE might work, but has MTU issues and requires a more complex
setup.
	So, if I take Frank's if_hub and incorporate it into an if_tap.c in
the source tree, will someone integrate it for me?
-Brian
}
} While it sounds disgusting it could be useful. :)
}
} -Andrew