Subject: Re: Tap(4) interface in NetBSD?
To: None <>
From: David Young <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/2003 20:34:13
On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 08:15:58PM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:
> > i'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, but what's the advantage of
> > /dev/tap over /dev/tun?  i don't get it.
> You get the complete ethernet frame including headers out of it whereas
> tun operates higher above. I remember I once needed this for something
> and started porting tap from FreeBSD, but since it seems like I never
> finished the job, I guess I found another way to do what I wanted.

  Hmm. This should not be an extention to tun?

  It sure would be nice if tun supported AF_INET6 and AF_LINK w/ a few
  DLTs....  I think that it would useful for education, for tunneling
  (as someone already mentioned), and for implementing certain routing
  protocols (AODV for IPv6 comes to mind).

David Young             OJC Technologies      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933