Subject: Re: Tap(4) interface in NetBSD?
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/2003 20:15:58
On Sun Apr 27 2003 at 13:08:35 -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:

> >> Not in the tree, but look at if_hub for the vmnet module, used in the
> >> VMware pkg. I derived it from if_tun, it has similar functionality.
> >
> >Maybe it would be a good idea to include this functionality in if_tun ?
>
> i'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, but what's the advantage of
> /dev/tap over /dev/tun?  i don't get it.

You get the complete ethernet frame including headers out of it whereas
tun operates higher above. I remember I once needed this for something
and started porting tap from FreeBSD, but since it seems like I never
finished the job, I guess I found another way to do what I wanted.

Sorry for not being more specific ;)

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>                     Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/                          http://www.NetBSD.org/