Subject: Re: NetBSD version naming - suggestion
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/2003 21:52:26
Quoting Daniel Carosone (dan@geek.com.au):
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 05:56:52PM -0700, cgd@broadcom.com wrote:
> >
> > I've become a fan of the gnu-ish "ninety-something" version numbering,
> > for development-trunk versions, e.g.:
>
> Xfree does something like that too.  I think i prefer letters over
> arbitrary (though clearly different) numbers, but that's small fry.

I think you are all being too limited and linear.  Arts
are under attack in our societies all the time, so we
should encourage them.  NetBSD can help.

Each major release (1.4, 1.5, 1.6) will be named for an
opera.  "The carmen series".  Each actual release will be
named for a character in the order in which they appear
on stage.  Most western operas can cover you for dozens
of subreleases.

This will serve to number the schemes as well as foist
culture and knowledge of the arts upon you troglodytes.