Subject: Re: NetBSD version naming - suggestion
To: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/2003 17:59:33
On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Havard Eidnes wrote:

> I think I've said so before (and didn't do much about it then, other
> than writing a bit in the release notes) that the version numbering
> scheme could use some better documentation, and being pointed to from
> a few more places in our web pages.  We'll see if I can manage to
> contribute something this time.

I wish you'd start with ...pub/NetBSD/README.

I've not had much of a problem understanding any projects numbering
scheme, as long as they've explained it in a README in the top-level
directory. The layout of ftp.netbsd.org, however, is horrible --
binary releases are at the same level as source snapshots, while the
binary snapshots are buried in the arch directories, and the README
isn't helpful: the descriptions of "arch" and "misc" aren't even
correct -- "arch" is full of miscellaneous things of general
interest to users of a particular architecture, while "misc" contains
developer's projects and experiments. I think the layout and the
README are the real reason people get confused and download the wrong
thing, not the numbering scheme.

Frederick