Subject: Re: NetBSD version naming - suggestion
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/2003 15:22:10
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Greywolf wrote:

> Thus spake Bill Studenmund ("BS> ") sometime Today...
>
> BS> [kre sez:]
> BS> > But the risk of confusion with linux stuff does suggest that perhaps
> BS> > using even for releases, and odd for development may be even less
> BS> > confusing.
> BS>
> BS> Right. If we do the numbers, we should do them (vaguely) like Linux.
>
> That's a big IF.  Frankly, what we have is fine, IMOBIWWYPFI.

I'm not saying we have to go with this scheme. I'm saying we shouldn't do
something close-but-opposite to what Linux does. :-)

But I think all the confusion different folks have indicates that what we
have now isn't fine. If we can do better, we should. That's not to say we
should just abandon what we have, but I think looking critically at what
we do and can do will be good for us.

We are after all talking about a number. Changing how we number things
(assuming the new system's better) will help us and won't mean giving up
parts of our core identity. :-)

Take care,

Bill