Subject: Re: galeon is failing on 1.6R
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/2003 14:00:13
On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 01:44:15PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> >There was a similar bug seen in xmms, but that was in xmms itself, not
> >one of its dependancies. The fix for that is also in pkgsrc now.
>
> My concern is not for any one easily-fixed bug, but whether there are
> enough of them out there that we can't patch everything.

Of course, one spin is "Test your application on NetBSD. Its correct
pthread implementation will help you identify places where you have
misused the thread APIs. If your application depends on behaviour
of a specific vendor's implementation, it will eventually break when
their implementation changes."

It is hard to get the point across to some people though - who are stuck
in the 'Well, it compiled. I must have got it right.' frame of mind.

An organization gets what it rewards.
			      - Perry Metzger