Subject: Re: galeon is failing on 1.6R
To: Jason Thorpe <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/21/2003 22:21:58
In message <>, Jason Thor
pe writes:
>On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 06:14  AM, Steve Bellovin wrote:
>> $ galeon
>> assertion "weown" failed: file
>> "/usr/src/lib/libpthread/pthread_mutex.c", line 3
>> 32, function "pthread_mutex_unlock"
>> Abort (core dumped)
>This is a bug in Galeon.  While tracking down some of the "pthread
>bugs" that have been reported lately, Nathan discovered that a number
>of them were actually bugs in the applications.
>So, he added some additional assertions to the code to be more brutal
>in cases where the spec leaves behavior as "undefined".
>You've just run into one of these... Galeon is unlocking a lock it does
>not own.
>Nathan did incorporate some fixes into the Gnome libraries.  You might
>consider reinstalling your Gnome-related libraries and see if that
>fixes your problem.

I assume that this is another such bug:

LyX: Done!
assertion "mutex->ptm_lock == __SIMPLELOCK_UNLOCKED" failed: file "/usr/src/lib/libpthread/pthread_mutex.c", line 133, function "pthread_mutex_destroy"
Abort (core dumped)

This is when lyx-qt was exiting.  I just rebuilt it, from the latest
CVS pkgsrc I had, from some time yesterday.  (Lyx is hardly a priority
for me, but I wonder if we're going to have to find some way to be
bug-compatible with all the penguin-oriented packages out there.)

		--Steve Bellovin, (me) (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)