Subject: Re: galeon is failing on 1.6R
To: Jason Thorpe <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/21/2003 14:05:04
In message <>, Jason Thor
pe writes:
>On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 06:14  AM, Steve Bellovin wrote:
>> $ galeon
>> assertion "weown" failed: file
>> "/usr/src/lib/libpthread/pthread_mutex.c", line 3
>> 32, function "pthread_mutex_unlock"
>> Abort (core dumped)
>This is a bug in Galeon.  While tracking down some of the "pthread
>bugs" that have been reported lately, Nathan discovered that a number
>of them were actually bugs in the applications.
>So, he added some additional assertions to the code to be more brutal
>in cases where the spec leaves behavior as "undefined".
>You've just run into one of these... Galeon is unlocking a lock it does
>not own.
>Nathan did incorporate some fixes into the Gnome libraries.  You might
>consider reinstalling your Gnome-related libraries and see if that
>fixes your problem.

Oh, joy -- rebuilding most of pkgsrc.  Just my idea of a great day...
(Of course, the real problem I'm muttering about here is the bloat of
the gnome libraries.)

I'll do a rebuild as soon as I can do a cvs update of pkgsrc -- I
haven't been able to get through today.

		--Steve Bellovin, (me) (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)