Subject: Re: New power management framework for sysmon
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/21/2003 09:24:15
On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 07:54  AM, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> Whether software interupts are handled by the BIOS or the kernel
> doesn't
> change much ... although I guess the kernel is a bit more likely to go
> incommunicado. You (kernel) switch the fans off, block interupts,
> go into a tight loop -> the machine will melt, right?

But you can't really have it both ways.  If you're handing power
management related traps/interrupts, the firmware can't be.

If you want to leave a machine like that unattended for the weekend,
then make sure the fans are on.  Such machines tend to be servers or
non-laptop workstations anyway, right?

Anyway... we have to work within the constraints of what we're given,
so debating whether or not it's ideal seems somewhat pointless.