Subject: Re: New power management framework for sysmon
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 04/21/2003 00:52:44
On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 11:16:09AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> Thirdly, if the kernel detects the temperature is about to go critical,
> it should override whatever powerd(8)'s policy is.  Firmware on some
> systems does this for you already (temp gets too high, shuts the power
> off for you).

Pre acpi, my hp pavilion beeped when battery power was getting low. With
acpi in kernel, this beep no longer happens. Envstat correctly shows the
battery emptying, but then the laptop just stops when it runs out of
juice. This makes me wonder: with acpi, could the inbuilt automatic power
off on overheating get over ridden too?

Cheers,

Patrick