Subject: Re: Heads up: new ahc driver committed
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/2003 22:08:35
[ On Sunday, April 20, 2003 at 11:38:55 (-0700), Jason Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Heads up: new ahc driver committed
>
> I suspect there is little chance the change will get pulled into
> netbsd-1-6.

Unless there's a 1.7 or 2.0 release pending in the wings which will be
released _before_ any possible 1.6.2 then that would be very unfortunate.

NetBSD 1.6.1 will be unusable on some now quite common platforms with
newer AIC chipsets and newer drives (just as NetBSD-1.6 is as well), and
it will suffer serious performance penalties vs. something like
GNU/linux or FreeBSD on those newer platforms where it still can be run.

Those of us who primarily track the -stable branch could benefit
immediately from the new drivers, and if 1.6.2 arrives before any new
major release then so could everyone else who uses NetBSD in production.

I may be able to do the back-port myself, and I certainly could help
with the effort (especially since I still have a machine on my bench
that needs the new drivers), but I'm not sure I can afford to maintain
the result on my own (unless somone pops out of the woodwork to help me
do so :-).

--
								Greg A. Woods