Subject: DARPA Cancels OS Project After Comments
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/18/2003 12:58:30
---
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The U.S. military's research agency cut off grant
money for helping to develop a secure, free operating system after a
top programmer made anti-war statements to a major newspaper.

The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency halted the contract
less than two weeks after The Globe and Mail of Toronto published a
story in which programmer Theo de Raadt was quoted as saying he was
"uncomfortable" about the funding source.

"I try to convince myself that our grant means a half of a cruise
missile doesn't get built," de Raadt told the newspaper.

Within a few days, de Raadt said he received an e-mail from Jonathan
Smith, a computer science professor at the University of Pennsylvania
and the grant's lead researcher, expressing discomfort over the
statements.

On Thursday, Smith notified de Raadt of the cancellation.
---

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=562&ncid=738&e=9&u=/ap/20030418/ap_on_hi_te/grant_canceled

Thomas T. Thai