Subject: DARPA Cancels OS Project After Comments
To: None <>
From: Caffeinate The World <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/18/2003 12:58:30
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The U.S. military's research agency cut off grant
money for helping to develop a secure, free operating system after a
top programmer made anti-war statements to a major newspaper.

The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency halted the contract
less than two weeks after The Globe and Mail of Toronto published a
story in which programmer Theo de Raadt was quoted as saying he was
"uncomfortable" about the funding source.

"I try to convince myself that our grant means a half of a cruise
missile doesn't get built," de Raadt told the newspaper.

Within a few days, de Raadt said he received an e-mail from Jonathan
Smith, a computer science professor at the University of Pennsylvania
and the grant's lead researcher, expressing discomfort over the

On Thursday, Smith notified de Raadt of the cancellation.

Thomas T. Thai

Do you Yahoo!?