Subject: Re: Another gcc3 question!
To: Bob Bernstein <bernstein@cesmail.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/18/2003 10:52:49
Thus spake Bob Bernstein ("BB> ") sometime Yesterday...

BB> > The other option is to make sure that you build against the system
BB> > libraries and not the ones with gcc, but I'm not certain at all
BB> > if/how well that would work.
BB>
BB> If I place this line:
BB>
BB> LDFLAGS= -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/gcc-3.2.2/lib
BB>
BB> in /usr/pkg/etc/gcc-3.2.2.mk, then that in itself would not force any
BB> linking to those gcc3 libs, correct? Would it not only provide the
BB> rpath when and if such linking was called for by the code and/or
BB> Makefile(s) in question? Or do I have to go back and FINISH that damn
BB> BA in computer science? <g>

As i understand it, the -R... passed to the linker will specify the
rpath (run-time path), while the -L... specifies the compile-time path.
Typically you set -Wl,-L... and -Wl,-R... to point to the same places,
especially in more complex applications in which there may coexist
static and dynamic libraries.

				--*greywolf;
--
Microsoft:	"Where do you want to go today?"
Linux:		"Where do you want to be tomorrow?"