Subject: Re: Serial ATA Cards - Follow Up
To: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/18/2003 10:11:26
On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 08:44:06PM +0000, MLH wrote:
  | I ran across some Seagate 80G ATA V SATA drives last weekend for
  | ~$120 at a local computer show. Best price until then I had seen
  | was $160 for that drive.

Unfortunately, the SATA Seagate drives are based on the "cheaper"
ATA models that only have 1 year warranty (and 2MB cache, but that's
irrelevant to me).

Last I looked, the only current ATA Seagate drives with 3 year
warranty is the 120GB ST3120024A (also has 8MB cache), and until
they release a ST3120024AS (SATA version), instead of the
ST3120023AS (1yr, 2MB) which is based on the ST3120023A (1yr, 2MB),
I won't be buying SATA drives, even though I have a SATA capable
system.

All that said, so far I'm extremely happy with the ST3120024A; they're
fast enough for me (benchmarks are the usual +/-10% compared to
competition), but they are extremely *quiet* and run fairly cool too,
especially compared to the IBM IC35xxxAVER drives I was using in my
24x7 file server...