Subject: Re: panic: ffs_write: type
To: Christopher Tribo <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/17/2003 09:55:13
Did you update your kernel last week? There was a problem
introduced into ffs code with UFS2 merge, which got fixed couple days ago.
At this stage you'd need to:

* boot singleuser, fsck -f your filesystems, remove the files which
  turn out UNALLOCATED (pray it won't be anything important)
* build + install the most up-to-date kernel
* reboot + fsck -f again

Christopher Tribo wrote:
> This is just after the system prints the date to the console before
> bringing up getty. I am not running UFS2, userland compiled about an hour
> ago.
> panic: ffs_write: type
> Stopped in pid 148.1(syslogd) at cpu_Debugger+0x4: leave
> db> bt
> cpu_Debuggger at cpu_Debugger+0x4
> panic at panic+0xb8
> ffs_write at ffs_write+0xd6
> vn_write at vn_write+0x9f
> dofilewritev at dofilewritev+0x146
> sys_writev at sys_writev+0x49
> syscall_plain at syscall_plain+0xab
> --
> I'm trying to port NetBSD to my cup of tea, but it keeps kernel panicking
> on refill. This is odd, because I ported it to my toaster and my bookcase
> easily enough and it survives bread- and book-replacement fine.
> Any hints?
> Jared Earle -

Jaromir Dolecek <>