Subject: Serial ATA Cards - Follow Up
To: None <email@example.com>
From: Caffeinate The World <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 04/16/2003 19:43:49
After reading up on Serial ATA (SATA) I've gathered the following
- NetBSD -current does support SATA cards using
the Silicon Image 3112A controller chip.
- SIIG Serial ATA PCI does use the 3112A chip. Price
ranges from $38-$50.
- SATA is still "fresh" from the factory. So don't
expect to run production servers on it.
- SATA has a theoretical transfer rate of 150 MB/s
- SATA cables have only 7 wires. Doesn't restrict airflow.
- SATA cable length is limited to 1 meter.
- Performance tests on Windows machine place SATA/150
only slightly above ATA/100. See:
- SATA does offer hotswappable feature. Theoretically.
I've not seen any tests or hotswap trays offering
- SATA hard drive prices is about $20 to $30 more than
equivalent ATA/100 drives.
Thomas T. Thai
Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo