Subject: Re: Serial ATA Cards
To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/16/2003 11:03:01
On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 10:15  AM, Caffeinate The World wrote:

> Does -current support any Serial ATA cards? I was reading up on Serial
> ATA specs. It's about time IDE catches up to SCSI. Now they have hot
> swappable features built in. I hope NetBSD's drivers will make use of
> Serial ATA's features.

NetBSD currently supports two S-ATA controllers:

	1. Silicon Image SATALink 3112

	2. Intel i31244 (only in PCI IDE mode, not the enhanced
	   "Direct Port Access" mode yet)

The latter is not really available in the market yet.

In terms of feature support, we don't really support the hot-swap
features yet, nor do we support the overlapping commands in S-ATA.
These features will come along later.