Subject: Re: host not found?
To: None <>
From: Chuck Yerkes <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/2003 16:14:42
Quoting Peter Seebach (
> So, Mozilla and a couple of other programs are consistently failing to look
> up any name with _'s in it.  The most obvious (and topical) example would
> be  "nslookup" finds it; "ping" doesn't.

You mean hosts that violate the DNS RFCS?

In 95 or so, apple came out with (OS) system 7 (AFAIR).
It's DNS implementation strictly complies with the RFCs.
It didn't support _ in hostnames.

This, of course, caused the Apples to not be able to get
to various Notes servers named
Names which we told them were BAD names (ny was the subdomain,
so have it in the host) and ILLEGAL names.

So we got to go through with a little sed/awk and rename
everything right with a CNAME.

I'm surprised the's DNS servers don't emit an error.