Subject: Re: NetBSD version naming - suggestion
To: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/2003 23:19:42
>> the only "adventage" of your numbering will be that some users will not be
>> consufed (and other become).
>
>And is this a net win or not?

probably not.  as confusing as the current scheme might be to some
people, all the people that now know how it works will have to relearn
it, and all the people who just figured it out will be confused again.

>> now numbering is clear - numbers with letters are development versions,
>> without - release versions. it's clear
>
>Wasn't there a 1.4.3A release? I don't quite recall.

there's mention of something called 1.4.3A in the cvs logs, but i
think that was just something that led up to the actual 1.4.3 release.
1.4.3A was, in all likelihood, just a "beta" of 1.4.3.

>> after that change it won't be IMHO better but will look like linux
>
>C'mon. If an idea is a good idea then who cares where it came from?
>I think it is a perfectly fine idea. It may even nicely fit into
>__NetBSD_Version__ in sys/param.h. The current system would have
>broken if we had a 1.4.4 release.

how so?  that would 104000400, no?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|