Subject: Re: NetBSD version naming - suggestion
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/2003 22:25:35
On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 07:37:52PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> the only "adventage" of your numbering will be that some users will not be
> consufed (and other become).

And is this a net win or not?

> now numbering is clear - numbers with letters are development versions,
> without - release versions. it's clear

Wasn't there a 1.4.3A release? I don't quite recall.

> after that change it won't be IMHO better but will look like linux

C'mon. If an idea is a good idea then who cares where it came from?
I think it is a perfectly fine idea. It may even nicely fit into
__NetBSD_Version__ in sys/param.h. The current system would have
broken if we had a 1.4.4 release.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper