Subject: Re: Superblock Corruption?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/2003 17:03:18
On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 11:55:40PM +1000, Charlie Allom wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 04:45:13PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> >
> > On my Libretto L2 I'm using a November userland at the moment. When I
> > boot up an April 11th kernel and mount all the filesystems read-only,
> > and then reboot (using either the April or Novemember kernels), it tells
> > me that the superblock is corrupt on all my filesystems, and I have to
> > fsck by hand and restore the superblock from a backup superblock.
>
> I filed a PR about this on my i386 + APPLE_UFS disk: kern/21083

The issue Curt talks about is "old fsck compares too many superblock
fields and incorrectly signals a bad superblock". The only thing you
can do about that is install a new fsck. 1.6.1 has a forward compat
patch, so that a 1.6.1 -> 2.0 upgrade will not have this problem.

The Apple UFS problem looks to be something else.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                            fvdl@netbsd.org
NetBSD. Free, Unix-like OS. > 45 different platforms.    http://www.netbsd.org/