Subject: Re: Kernel Booting From RAIDFrame
To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2003 21:24:08
Caffeinate The World wrote:

> --- David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org> wrote:
> > > 	/usr/mdec/installboot -b 16 /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/rwd0d
> > >
> > > would work.
> > >
> > 	I can confirm at least eight boxes where it does :)
>
> Are all 8 of those boxes i386? Would the above method work for other
> architectures?

It depends on the architecture...  For example, at least pmax (and maybe
alpha and vax) need to have the 'a' partition starting at disk offset 0.
However, the architectures that have that requirement are usually easier
to get the bootblocks properly working with RAID1 without playing the
offset game.

What architecture(s) did you have in mind?

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/