Subject: Nightmare File Corruptions with 1.6Q - FFS?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/2003 09:03:38
It's been a nightmare after upgrading to 1.6Q.

I believe the recent code change to FFS is causing these issues to pop
up. I'm seeing file corruptions. When a library gets corrupted, things
will fail.

I saw these corruptions (was reported to the list) when I tried to make
install world. I manually got pass that phase.

This morning my system hung with "init: getty repeating too quickly on
port /dev/console, sleeping" was in part due to one of the library file
being corrupted.

So the system locked up, I couldn't get to a shell or login.

Manually rebooted the system, it goes to the fsck phase and reported a
lot of these errors:

fsck /dev/rsd0a
UNALLOCATED I=99429 OWNER=root MODE=0
SIZE=0 MTIME=DEC 31 18:00 1969
NAME=/lost+found/#099429
REMOVE? [yn]

NAME=/etc/usermgmt.conf
NAME=/sbin/restore
NAME=/sbin/rrestore
NAME=/lib/libdes.so.6.0
NAME=/lib/libkvm.so.5.2
NAME=/lib/libm.so

If I don't remove them by answering 'y' then the system will not boot
pass the fsck phase on the next reboot. If I do remove them, some of
those libraries are needed for basic system functions and it can't
start some basic services and the system won't fully boot.