Subject: Re: alias netmask
To: None <>
From: Geoff Adams <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/2003 10:39:30

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 03:06 PM, Caffeinate The World wrote:

> From FreeBSD Handbook:
> For example, consider the case where the fxp0 interface is connected to
> two networks, the network with a netmask of and
> the network with a netmask of We want the
> system to appear at through and at
> through
> The following entries configure the adapter correctly for this
> arrangement:
>      ifconfig_fxp0="inet netmask"
>      ifconfig_fxp0_alias0="inet netmask"
>      ifconfig_fxp0_alias1="inet netmask"
>      ifconfig_fxp0_alias2="inet netmask"
>      ifconfig_fxp0_alias3="inet netmask"
>      ifconfig_fxp0_alias4="inet netmask"
>      ifconfig_fxp0_alias5="inet netmask"
>      ifconfig_fxp0_alias6="inet netmask"
>      ifconfig_fxp0_alias7="inet netmask"

The only reason I can think of for this configuration is that only the
first interface address within any given network will respond to
broadcast packets on that network.

That said, I've always used the netmask appropriate for the network on
each alias, and I've never had problems.

- Geoff

content-disposition: inline
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (Darwin)