Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/dist/am-utils/fsinfo
To: None <>
From: Aidan Kehoe <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/2003 08:40:34
 Ar an 8ú lá de mí 4, scríobh Dave Huang :

 > "Co-ordinate" is the British, Canadian, and American-from-n-decades-ago
 > spelling.  The modern American spelling is "coordinate," and it looks
 > like the British spelling is moving to that too.  Canadians really
 > like the hyphen though :).  Since it looks like NetBSD is
 > standardizing on the American spellings, we should go with "coordinate."

I don't think hyphens in this area are a Queen's English vs. Webster issue
at all. I do think having the hyphen there is more considerate towards
non-native speakers, because it underlines that "co-ordinate" isn't
pronounced "koordinet" . The New Yorker adds diaereses, apparently for
exactly this reason, so they have "coördinate," but that's not an option for
ASCII files.

"I have heard the swelling cry of the English speaking peoples of the
world, and it tells me their cause is served best by flaming the few
complacent asses on usenet." -- T. Samant, 29 June 1997