Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/dist/am-utils/fsinfo
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/2003 08:40:34
 Ar an 8ú lá de mí 4, scríobh Dave Huang :

 > "Co-ordinate" is the British, Canadian, and American-from-n-decades-ago
 > spelling.  The modern American spelling is "coordinate," and it looks
 > like the British spelling is moving to that too.  Canadians really
 > like the hyphen though :).  Since it looks like NetBSD is
 > standardizing on the American spellings, we should go with "coordinate."

I don't think hyphens in this area are a Queen's English vs. Webster issue
at all. I do think having the hyphen there is more considerate towards
non-native speakers, because it underlines that "co-ordinate" isn't
pronounced "koordinet" . The New Yorker adds diaereses, apparently for
exactly this reason, so they have "coördinate," but that's not an option for
ASCII files.

--
"I have heard the swelling cry of the English speaking peoples of the
world, and it tells me their cause is served best by flaming the few