Subject: Re: Vinum in NetBSD: status and questions
To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/2003 18:31:41
On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 05:04:01PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
  | I'm currently testing the Vinum/NetBSD code that the Infosys people
  | sent me.  It's still a bit rough round the edges, but I have got to
  | the stage where I can build a kernel with Vinum "support" and talk to
  | the driver.

Excellent.

  | I currently have a few questions:
  |
  | 1.  vinum(8) has a command-line mode and uses readline for command
  |     line editing and history.  I can find the headers for readline,
  |     but I can't find a library.  What's the policy?  Is readline
  |     deprecated?  I've found editline, but the interface is quite
  |     different, and I'd prefer to keep things the same.

/usr/include/readline/readline.h is the interface to a readline
compatibility shim provided by -ledit.

If Vinum is mainly for *BSD, libedit is available on all of
them, and IMHO, it's much easier to program for libedit than
for readline...

Plus, there's "portable" versions of libedit available for non *BSD
platforms (email me for details.)

Luke.