Subject: Re: serial console
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/2003 14:08:47
On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 04:38:47PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 12:36:47PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > > i installed biosboot_com0_115200 bootloader and it works fine IF I HAVE
> > > CABLE plugged.
> > >
> > > with cable unplugged it automatically go to prompt mode.
> > >
> > > how to turn off checking that cable is connected? what Makefile option?
> >
> > You can set ddb.fromconsole to 0 with sysctl(3). For this to be the
> > default behaviour, rebuild your kernel with options DDB_FROMCONSOLE=0.
> >
> i'm not using ddb at all, and i'm talking about bootloader...

This could mean that the com port read routine is getting garbage from
the serial port, which the bootloader assumes comes from you pressing
a key to stop the boot.

It could be that your hardware returns junk characters when a byte is read
with nothing hooked up.  You should build a biosboot_com0 with the
'-DDIRECT_SERIAL' option disabled and see if that helps.

-Andrew