Subject: Re: pkg/20978: mail/deliver is not compatible with recent NetBSD libc
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/2003 14:00:43
>That could be said for any change to the system's behaviour.  For instance,
>the change to top-down allocation of mmap'ed space might break a
>particularly silly application, but that didn't mean that we needed to
>version the ABI for it.  Versioning the ABI is only sensible when an
>application compiled before a change would break after it, but would work if
>recompiled after the change.

otoh, the change to top-down allocation of mmap'ed space only affects
the address you get back from mmap.  none of the api was changed.  :)

that said, i can certainly conceive of an application that says "i'll
mmap() this, and then i'll mmap() that directly after it by adding the
size of that and using MAP_FIXED".

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."