Subject: Re: pkg/20978: mail/deliver is not compatible with recent NetBSD libc
To: David Laight <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/2003 13:11:15
On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, David Laight wrote:

: > This is a severe problem.  I've seen other code which depends on basename
: > returning an in-situ pointer, and the change to libc (without versioning the
: > call because of the ABI change) is alarming.
: Such code is non-portable (aka broken).

However, it was relying on a historic behavior of basename() that is *not*
uncommon -- and *was* the behavior in NetBSD prior to the change.

(See what I said about versioning the call because of the ABI change.  This
is about compatibiltiy with a precompiled executable, not compiling anew.)

-- Todd Vierling <>