Subject: Re: Font problem in XFree86 version 4.3.0 and KDE 3.1.0
To: Sverre Froyen <sverre@viewmark.com>
From: Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/2003 11:01:35
 Ar an 4ú lá de mí 4, scríobh Sverre Froyen :

 > Following up to my own posting...
 >
 > I found that creating a new XF86Config file with xf86cfg solved the problem
 > with the irregular spacing (but not the mkfontscale issue).  Unfortunately,
 > by default it sets the color depth to 8 bits.  Adding a "DefaultDepth 24"
 > line to XF86Config provied 24 bit color as expected and alse makes the font
 > problem REAPPEAR!???  I had no idea that the fonts were color depth dependent
 > :-)

Mkfontscale not creating a fonts.scale file for Speedo fonts is expected,
though not ideal; it relies on a FreeType backend for its information, and
FT doesn't handle Speedo fonts at the moment.

As to the strange spacing, have a look at this message to the XFree86 Devel
list;

http://www.mail-archive.com/devel%40xfree86.org/msg01208.html

It details some problems with vertical font spacing, but that's probably not
your issue ... hmm. I can't suggest anything more beyond searching for
spacing in the usual places; groups.google.com, the XFree86 list archives,
etc.

(Fonts are obviously colour-depth dependent with antialiasing, if you think
about it; it's not just on/off any more, it's shades of in between.)

--
"I have heard the swelling cry of the English speaking peoples of the
world, and it tells me their cause is served best by flaming the few