Subject: Re: Font problem in XFree86 version 4.3.0 and KDE 3.1.0
To: Sverre Froyen <>
From: Aidan Kehoe <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/2003 11:01:35
 Ar an 4ú lá de mí 4, scríobh Sverre Froyen :

 > Following up to my own posting...
 > I found that creating a new XF86Config file with xf86cfg solved the problem
 > with the irregular spacing (but not the mkfontscale issue).  Unfortunately,
 > by default it sets the color depth to 8 bits.  Adding a "DefaultDepth 24"
 > line to XF86Config provied 24 bit color as expected and alse makes the font
 > problem REAPPEAR!???  I had no idea that the fonts were color depth dependent
 > :-)

Mkfontscale not creating a fonts.scale file for Speedo fonts is expected,
though not ideal; it relies on a FreeType backend for its information, and
FT doesn't handle Speedo fonts at the moment.

As to the strange spacing, have a look at this message to the XFree86 Devel

It details some problems with vertical font spacing, but that's probably not
your issue ... hmm. I can't suggest anything more beyond searching for
spacing in the usual places;, the XFree86 list archives,

(Fonts are obviously colour-depth dependent with antialiasing, if you think
about it; it's not just on/off any more, it's shades of in between.)

 > On Friday 04 April 2003 10:02, Sverre Froyen wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > After upgrading to XFree86 version 4.3.0 and KDE 3.1.0, I notice that
 > > several fonts in, e.g., konsole are displayed with incorrect
 > > intra-character spacing. For instance, the "Fixed [Misc]" font displays
 > > something like
 > >
 > > 	 T h e  Q u i c k  B r o w n  F o x ...
 > >
 > > with slightly more uneven spacings.
 > >
 > > Perhaps related, the directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/ has a file,
 > > fonts.scale, that lists 24 fonts.  However, if I run the mkfontscale
 > > command in that directory, I end up with a fonts.scale file with no fonts
 > > listed.
 > >
 > > Has anyone else problems with the font spacings in KDE and perhaps an idea
 > > about what I might be doing wrong?
 > >
 > > Thank you,
 > >
 > > Sverre
 > >
 > > PS: i386 NetBSD 1.6Q  XFree86 version 4.3.0 (27 February 2003)

"I have heard the swelling cry of the English speaking peoples of the
world, and it tells me their cause is served best by flaming the few
complacent asses on usenet." -- T. Samant, 29 June 1997