Subject: Re: Problem with make and signal.h
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/06/2003 21:57:11
On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 09:42:48PM +0200, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> Jean-Edouard BABIN wrote:
> > May be a little warning about -E on www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/
> > would be usefull too :)
>
> Oh, obvious error :) -E should definitely NOT be used for initial compilation.

And even after, it may lead to problems. There is not guarantee that an
incompatible change won't be commited.

> I've changed the instructions to recommend build into DESTDIR followed
> by ./build.sh install=/, and added description on when you might want
> to use -E + potential dangers of -E mode.

A description for -E is good, but why have this in anoncvs section ?
The procedure and problems are exactly the same if you get the sources
from e.g. sup.
Also these instruction don't talk about updating the kernel, which should
always be done before installing new libraries. I think this should point
back to "Updating an existing system", and add the note about -E here.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>