Subject: Re: panic: ffs_write: type
To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Paul Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/05/2003 19:20:16
On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 20:53:15 -0800 (PST), Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com> wrote:
> While upgrading from 1.6 to -current I received the following error:
>
> ./build.sh -D /var/build/alpha \
>            -O /var/build/alpha-obj \
>            -T /var/build/alpha-tools \
>            install=/

> Copying set base
> pax: unable to obtain block size for file /./sbin/mbrlabel (bad file
> discriptor)
> panic: ffs_write: type
> syncing disks...

Interesting.  I had something similar happen to me.

I have a computer that has an aac0 SCSI RAID controller with several large
drives attached.  I attempted to upgrade the machine to -current the
morning after the integration of the FFS2 code.

I rebuilt a new kernel, rebooted and started a build of everything.  The
build was about half way done when I attempted to untar a small gzipped
tar ball.  About half of the files were untarred when the machine locked
up and panic'd somewhere in the FFS code (sorry, I didn't record the
error and had to reboot the machine ASAP).

I've still got this tar ball and I'll try to get the machine to panic
again on Monday and I'll sendpr the problem then.

I suspect some bug still lurks in the FFS code due to the FFS2 integration.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."