Subject: Re: sendmail install from - no
To: Andrew Brown <>
From: George Michaelson <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/2003 08:57:09
On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:30:12 -0500 Andrew Brown <> wrote:

> >I did (cd /usr/src; ./ -E build) and have a foonly fine system of
> >current, but I notice that my sendmail borked at boot, complaining that the
> >/etc/mail/ was for v9.
> did you try /etc/postinstall after you were done building?  that
> always helps a lot.

doesn't build do that for you? doesn't etcupdate do that for you?

(shrug) no I didn't do /etc/postinstall. Ok. rate me clueless, but when did
that make it into the *documented* "you should do this" phase of a
run? Cos I got pointed at etcupdate, and run that believing 'it fixes things'

> >so I did manual stuff to upgrade (cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf;
> >make && make install) and it writes to /usr/share/sendmail, not /etc/mail/
> that's correct behavior.  a "make install" will not install files into
> /etc, since that has a high probability of overwriting files you are
> expected to be able to modify freely.
> have you modified your /etc/mail/ file at all, or did you
> simply use the one that was originally installed?

I modified one by hand many many currents ago.

> >hmm. Have I somehow missed a step in a critical bugfix/patch upgrade which
> >created the and cf from the
>'ve found the step.  i suppose you didn't find anything
> telling you want to do next though.  where did you look?

> there are two sample type files in /usr/share/sendmail/cf:
> and  if you don't see them there, cd to that
> directory and make them (ie type "make" or "make
>").  copy one to /etc/mail/

ummm hows a boy meant to know to do that?

> >etcupdate didn't complain either.
> hmm...never tried that.

odd. how come I think its de rigeur?

anyways thanks for clues.

George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email:    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064
Phone: +61 7 3367 0490  |  Australia
  Fax: +61 7 3367 0482  |