Subject: Re: sendmail install from - no
To: George Michaelson <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/2003 18:34:07
>> >of> >current, but I notice that my sendmail borked at boot, complaining
>> >that the> >/etc/mail/ was for v9.

>> >doesn't build do that for you? doesn't etcupdate do that for you?
>> build only builds everything, it doesn't touch /etc.  but you are a
>> (-E) expert, so you knew that, right?  ;
>yea. I kinda wish it was -I(nplace) instead of

maybe you should do it in two steps, then?  iirc, this: -D /usr/dest distribution -D /usr/dest install=/

will get you what you want without you having to use -E.  it's safer,
too, since if the build fails, your "host" system won't end up

>> >(shrug) no I didn't do /etc/postinstall. Ok. rate me clueless, but when did
>> >that make it into the *documented* "you should do this" phase of a
>> >run? Cos I got pointed at etcupdate, and run that believing 'it fixes
>> >things'
>> i can't speak for etcupdate, since i've never used it.  i think
>> (though i'm probably wrong) that it updates things, but doesn't
>> necessarily install new things.
>It asks you to accept/reject/merge/ignore changed files in the /etc hierarchy
>which sounds to me pretty well perfect for this task.

well, almost. never existed before, so you won't have any
changes and there isn't anything to update.

>postinstall is run by for you now. It doesn't fix this problem (but
>you know that now anyway)

to be pedantic, postinstall is invoked at the end of some targets in
/usr/src/Makefile.  it advises you of the problem, but no, it won't
specifically fix this one.

>> >/usr/src/gnu/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf;> >make && make install) and it writes
>> >to /usr/share/sendmail, not /etc/mail/>

>> >I modified one by hand many many currents ago.
>> and is that the one you're still using?
>It was, yes. The problem was that it was v9, and pre-dated the change to a
>requirement for a split send/receive .cf file. Again, I don't understand how
>this only cropped up *now* because I've been doing for a whiles now.

you're probably seeing it now because a new version of sendmail was
only recently imported.

have you ditched your local changes, or did you fold them back into
your new config file?

>> >odd. how come I think its de rigeur?
>> dunno.  i always used to do /etc updates by hand.  then postinstall
>> came along and automated some of it for me, though i still do a chunk
>> of it by hand.
>I'd run etcupdate a few times to see what it does. It works for me, and lets
>me keep my passwd/group/rc.conf stuff while forcing in the new contents of
>rc.d and the like.

oh, ah.  i think i see a possible cause of the problem.  etcupdate
explicitly sets NO_SENDMAIL=1 so you won't get any sendmail files to
be updated.  i'll ask around about this...

>From reading other peoples mail I can see that if I adopt a which
>has the localhost binding, I too will cease to hang on my laptop when booting
>on a foreign network. So goodness comes from this upgrade process in many ways
>and I thank you for it!

that might fix it.  otoh, there might be other issues.