Subject: Re: Sendmail config files won't get updated
To: Andrew Brown <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/2003 17:11:52
In message <>, Andrew Brown writes:
>>After doing postinstall and etcupdates and fixing as much as I could, I can't
>>get rid of this:
>>-After an etcupdate-
>>postinstall checks failed: sendmail
>>To fix, run:
>>    /etc/postinstall -s /usr/src -d / fix sendmail
>>*** All done
>>frohike: {2} /etc/postinstall -s /usr/src -d / fix sendmail
>>Source directory: /usr/src
>>Target directory: /
>>sendmail fix:
>>        Version of /etc/mail/ is 9, should be 10 [NOT FIXED]
>>        Submission configuration file /etc/mail/ missing [NOT FIXED]
>>postinstall fixes passed:
>>postinstall fixes failed: sendmail
>>I've already added the user and group smmsp with etcupdate, but it doesn't
>>change or add I can't find default copies of the
>>mentioned files in /usr/dist/etc or /usr/dist/etc/etc.i386 either. (I did
>>a -D /usr/dist)
>what was the full command that you typed?  " -D /usr/dist" by
>itself merely emits a usage message.

I did a './ -u -D /usr/netbsd distribution'.  When the
postinstall checks failed, I copied the appropriate files from
/usr/netbsd/etc/mail to /etc/mail.  But I did that just to get
postinstall to shut up; I don't much care about the actual content,
since I run postfix as my mailer...

		--Steve Bellovin, (me) (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)