Subject: Re: sendmail install from - no
To: Martin Weber <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/2003 15:25:56
>> gah!  that file gets built wrong.  argh!
>> oh.  i see.  the make process gets confused because there's a
>> in the *source* directory, so it removes that one and then
>> totally botches rebuilding it.  hrm.
>> go to /usr/share/sendmail/cf, remove the you have there (if
>> any), and type "make" again.  it should be fine.
>> (...)
>Actually, I did not do make but m4 > in
>/usr/share/sendmail/cf, and the result is:
>VERSIONID(Id:,v 2002/12/29 03:54:34 ca Exp)
>FEATURE(msp, [])

okay.  yeah, that won't work because you didn't preload ../m4/cf.m4.
if you had instead done:

	m4 ../m4/cf.m4 >

that would have worked.

>Now when I do make the result is:
># make
>rm -f /usr/src/gnu/dist/sendmail/cf/cf/
>(cd /usr/share/sendmail/cf/../cf &&  m4 /usr/share/sendmail/cf/../m4/cf.m4 /usr/share/sendmail/cf//usr/src/gnu/dist/sendmail/cf/cf/ > /usr/share/sendmail/cf//usr/src/gnu/dist/sendmail/cf/cf/
>cannot create /usr/share/sendmail/cf//usr/src/gnu/dist/sendmail/cf/cf/ directory nonexistent
>*** Error code 2

...which gets it wrong because of the .PATH setting in the makefile.

>make: stopped in /usr/share/sendmail/cf
># pwd
>then a second make works fine and produces a usable
>(at least from what I can tell on the first sight).

yup, because the first pass deleted the from the source
tree, so now it finds a in the local directory which
overrides the out of date target in the source tree.

>Having m4 and make delivering different results is surprising. Until now,
>I've handled sendmail by creating my .mc files and letting m4 do the work.
>that should work for, too, imho.

i understand what the problem is here and i have a workaround.  i
wanna bounce it off a few people first...

>I'll file the pr for etcupdate, too.

good, thanks.