Subject: Re: sendmail install from build.sh - no submit.cf
To: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/2003 13:20:48
>> >I did (cd /usr/src; ./build.sh -E build) and have a foonly fine system of
>> >current, but I notice that my sendmail borked at boot, complaining that the
>> >/etc/mail/sendmail.cf was for v9.
>>
>> did you try /etc/postinstall after you were done building?  that
>> always helps a lot.
>
>Not in this case though. The 'fix' step won't help you there... which
>is very irritating :)

configuration files of all sorts are the legerdemain of the admin, so
postinstall will only mention them, not upgrade them.  unlike, say,
the rc.d scripts, where you really aren't expected to have to modify
them at all.

>> (...)
>> have you modified your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file at all, or did you
>> simply use the one that was originally installed?
>
>I had modified mine, and simply remade it (with m4), that fixed
>the v9->v10 warning

that's the trick.  :)

>> >hmm. Have I somehow missed a step in a critical bugfix/patch upgrade which
>> >created the submit.mc and cf from the netbsd-msp.mc?
>>
>> well...you've found the step.  i suppose you didn't find anything
>> telling you want to do next though.  where did you look?
>
>I myself stumbled over this, too, and had to search the mailing
>lists for the heads up announcement. This should be documented
>in UPDATING.

okay.  i can address that.

>> there are two sample submit.cf type files in /usr/share/sendmail/cf:
>> submit.cf and netbsd-msp.cf.  if you don't see them there, cd to that
>> directory and make them (ie type "make submit.cf" or "make
>> netbsd-msp.cf").  copy one to /etc/mail/submit.cf.
>
>Isn't make submit.cf going to use the submit.mc file ? The resulting
>submit.cf is basically empty, and not usable. Because it contains no
>queueconfdir or whatever the awk in /etc/rc.d/sendmail checks for to
>look at the permissions, it comes out as an empty string which then is
>fed to stat(1) which fails which results in a warning that is absolutely
>misleading, because it says the permissions on the queue dir are wrong.

gah!  that submit.cf file gets built wrong.  argh!

oh.  i see.  the make process gets confused because there's a
submit.cf in the *source* directory, so it removes that one and then
totally botches rebuilding it.  hrm.

go to /usr/share/sendmail/cf, remove the submit.cf you have there (if
any), and type "make submit.cf" again.  it should be fine.

>Took me some time to finally read /etc/rc.d/sendmail and realize what's
>broken.

right.

>> >etcupdate didn't complain either.
>>
>> hmm...never tried that.
>
>I use it as last step in my build process, too. (build distribution,
>install=/, kernel=bla, install that, etcupdate, go). It should be
>adjusted to take care of submit.cf, too.
>
>This probably should be send-pr'd, but as you (andrew) were the one
>who imported it (iirc ?), can you fix that please ? Thanks in advance :)

i'll ask around.  since i've not used it, i'm not exactly sure how it
intends to operate.  please open a pr, just so that this doesn't get
forgotten...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."