Subject: Re: sendmail install from build.sh - no submit.cf
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/2003 17:39:52
On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:30:12AM -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
> >I did (cd /usr/src; ./build.sh -E build) and have a foonly fine system of
> >current, but I notice that my sendmail borked at boot, complaining that the
> >/etc/mail/sendmail.cf was for v9.
>
> did you try /etc/postinstall after you were done building?  that
> always helps a lot.

Not in this case though. The 'fix' step won't help you there... which
is very irritating :)

> (...)
> have you modified your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file at all, or did you
> simply use the one that was originally installed?

I had modified mine, and simply remade it (with m4), that fixed
the v9->v10 warning

> >hmm. Have I somehow missed a step in a critical bugfix/patch upgrade which
> >created the submit.mc and cf from the netbsd-msp.mc?
>
> well...you've found the step.  i suppose you didn't find anything
> telling you want to do next though.  where did you look?

I myself stumbled over this, too, and had to search the mailing
lists for the heads up announcement. This should be documented
in UPDATING.

> there are two sample submit.cf type files in /usr/share/sendmail/cf:
> submit.cf and netbsd-msp.cf.  if you don't see them there, cd to that
> directory and make them (ie type "make submit.cf" or "make
> netbsd-msp.cf").  copy one to /etc/mail/submit.cf.

Isn't make submit.cf going to use the submit.mc file ? The resulting
submit.cf is basically empty, and not usable. Because it contains no
queueconfdir or whatever the awk in /etc/rc.d/sendmail checks for to
look at the permissions, it comes out as an empty string which then is
fed to stat(1) which fails which results in a warning that is absolutely
misleading, because it says the permissions on the queue dir are wrong.

Took me some time to finally read /etc/rc.d/sendmail and realize what's
broken.

> >etcupdate didn't complain either.
>
> hmm...never tried that.

I use it as last step in my build process, too. (build distribution,
install=/, kernel=bla, install that, etcupdate, go). It should be
adjusted to take care of submit.cf, too.

This probably should be send-pr'd, but as you (andrew) were the one
who imported it (iirc ?), can you fix that please ? Thanks in advance :)

-Martin